Celebrating Your Fantastic Feline: 5 Ways to Pamper Your Cat
For those who don’t know better, cats are commonly perceived to be aloof creatures who prefer to be left to their own devices and knock a tumbler of whisky off a table rather than interact with their human slaves. But for those of us in the know, cats are often anything but solitary, unfeeling creatures who would rather curl up on your lap and make biscuits while you sip on that much-needed whisky.
Indeed, cats are, more often than not, intuitive and loving pets, who thrive on love, attention, and interactive play. They sense and respond to our moods, make us laugh, and generally love to nose their way into our affection on a regular basis.
With that in mind, it’s only natural that we would want to give our cats a little extra love from time to time. There are many ways to pamper your cat and, as their human companions, it’s likely that you know what they would best purr-fer, but in case you need a little inspiration, the team at All Creatures Veterinary Hospital has a few ideas to get you started.
5 Purr-fect Ways to Pamper Your Cat
- Break out the nip! Go beyond the nip-filled mouse and generously sprinkle some catnip on your floor and let them have at it. Once they have sufficiently rolled around in it like the furry little freaks they are, break out the laser pointer, feather teaser, or something to snake across the floor and play with them until your belly hurts from laughing! After they’ve had their fill of the zoomies, let them crash out on your lap while you love on them.
- Love them on their time, not yours. More often than not, it seems, cats want our attention at the most inopportune moment possible. Instead of picking your cat up off your lap or keyboard and hefting them onto the floor (again), lean into the moment and give your cat the love and attention they are craving. Attend to their needs and give them the pets they are craving. Not only will they love the attention, but once they’ve had their fill, they might just let you get some work done!
- Give them their space! We all enjoy having a little space of our own to call home and cats are no exception. If your kitty prefers the up-high, consider installing floating shelves that lead up the wall to a special nook atop a shelf or cupboard. If your cat would rather hang on the down-low, create a special little cave for them to call home somewhere away from the bustle of the home, but that still provides a view.
- Go green. While we’re on the subject of creating a safe haven for your meow, consider creating a little indoor garden oasis for your feline friend. If you have the space and a sunny window, find the right container and plant a cat-friendly garden full of cat grass, a small pot of fresh catnip, and other cat-safe greenery. Many city cats don’t get the luxury of lounging outdoors, but that doesn’t mean you can’t bring the outside in.
- Bring on the fish! While food and treats should be used sparingly when it comes to pampering your cat – especially if they’re on the chonky side – the very occasional tasty morsel can be ok. We suggest fish. Whether you pour off the juice from your can of tuna and add it to their food (or in a bowl on its own), or offer up a small bite of cooked salmon or the like, a little fish, every now and then, can be a (somewhat) low-calorie treat that offers up some supplemental vitamins to their diet.
Practical Pampering for Cats
In addition to these ways to pamper your cat, we would be remiss if we didn’t mention pampering your cat by way of veterinary care. Bringing your cat in for routine wellness exams, dental cleanings, acupuncture, and even professional grooming are all ways to show your cat love, even if they don’t see it that way.