What to Know About Dog Walkers in Brooklyn
There are over 600,000 dogs in New York City, a number that may surprise few. Urban dogs need daily exercise, but it’s not always easy to balance this commitment with work and life. There are dozens of dog walkers in Brooklyn to choose from (and throughout the boroughs), but how do you find the right match for your best buddy?
Keep Those Paws Moving
You want to choose among the very best dog walkers in Brooklyn to meet your dog’s daily exercise needs. They should like and enjoy the person you choose, but you also want to be sure they’re in safe, competent, respectful, trustworthy hands.
Fellow Dog Lover
Ask trusted friends, neighbors, and co-workers for their recommendations. We are also happy to provide feedback on professional dog walkers that we know and respect in the neighborhood.
Check the Credentials
Once you have a name, check the web for reviews. Well-rounded, unbiased customer reviews are always a great indicator of compatibility.
Speaking with them on the phone will provide more insight. Be upfront about the following:
- Cost (is there a reduced cost for shared walks, or a higher price for individual time)
- Security and trustworthiness (you can request to run a background check and a drug test)
- Walking routes
- Will they run with your dog (if you have a high-energy pup) or take them to the dog park where they can socialize?
- What’s their approach to training and behavior correction?
- Are they full or part-time? Is this a side job that could potentially be back burnered?
- Who will they send in their place if they cannot make scheduled appointments with your dog?
- How do they handle special requests, such as individual or shared walks, location specifics, exposure to weather, or certain experiences?
- Their ability to perform first-aid or CPR on your dog
- Their comfort and experience with administering medication, if applicable
- Experience with special behavioral or environmental needs
- Experience with various breeds, temperaments, lifestyles, and behaviors
- Ability to act calmly in hectic situations, like a pet emergency
- Will they send pics and notes about each walk?
- Are they licensed and insured?
- Can they provide personal and professional references?
Based on your conversation, schedule an introductory meeting with your dog. If they know and understand dogs well, your pupper will be quickly convinced.
Dog Walkers in Brooklyn Are Everywhere!
In order to keep the lifestyle going, chances are you’ll have to work away from home every once in a while. Or, like other millions of New Yokers, you now work from home and can’t leave to take your pup to the dog park.
Dog walkers in Brooklyn truly come to the rescue of thousands of dogs (and their owners) every day. However, they are not all the same. If you ever have doubts about your dog walker, attach a GPS tracker or activity monitor to your dog’s collar, or install home security cams.
If you have additional questions about finding a dog walker, give us a call at (347) 915-1420. All Creatures Veterinary Hospital of Brooklyn is always here for you!